From: Carol Snyder
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 8:01 AM
To: Neil Havermale
Subject: RE: MI-L MI in academics

I got the pricing from MapInfo this morning and haven't had a chance to
respond to the L.  The academic price of one unit of MapInfo Professional is
$299. That is 80% off list for a license. All we need is a letter on
university letterhead explaining it will be used for educational purposes
which is sent to MapInfo along with a purchase order to get a copy for the
school.

Regarding the labs, MapInfo has a 25 seat lab that sells for $5000 which
includes a gold cd, set of manuals and 1 year of maintenance for the lab.
Again, a more significant discount as $299*25 = $7475, so they save $2475 or
$99 a license.

What the commenter on the L doesn't realize is that his university is paying
a VERY hefty licensing fee to use ESRI products. He may not have to pay
directly but for sure, someone on campus is paying. These licenses are
typically in the tens of thousands depending on the modules they buy
especially if ArcInfo and spatial analyst are included.

Carol Snyder, Ph.D., CCA
Vice President of Sales and Operations
Red Hen Systems, Inc.
2310 East Prospect Ste A