I am in the process vertorizing dozens of  early geologic maps.  it is not an
easy task.  I do the following steps

scan at 300 or 400 dip (grey scale or color - never just black and white) and
save in jpeg (sometimes tiff for very large files - I found a Kinkos that
charges me $20 per scan period (either color or B&W, up to 36 inch width and
any length).

clean up the images in photoshop (remove grey background, make blacks black
and whites white, etc, get rid of dot patterns or anything that is not a
line).  this part can take hours and hours

I then use adobe streamline.  It does a good job for line art.  the only
problem is that it creats lots of individual line segements (caused by the
raster lines that have uneven thickeness, etc) that have to be connected.

If there are just a few lines, I open the image up in illustrator, create an
additional layer and trace over the original image (sometimes this is the
fastest, easiest way to go).

I would love to automate the process, but have never been able to do it (each
image is just too different).

good luck

s. figuers