Hi List,

Alas, this was not a MapX query, but a MIPro query. I.e. no
MapX.Layers("myName").PredominantFeatureType for me :.-}

And thanks for all the other answers y'all, but they were unfortunately not exactly
what I was looking for.

BUT, I've done a little investigation since Friday myself. I couldn't rid myself of
the idea that the MAP file contained some header
information as to what feature types were included in it, so one wouldn't have to
query the whole table to find out. And yes, I did
identify some counters located inside it.

The MAP file apparently doesn't count every single feature type (Point, Arc, Ellipse,
Rect, Polyline etc.), but there are 4 integer
(int*4) counters that counts 1) point features, 2) linear features (line, polyline,
arc), 3) polygonal features (region, rect etc.)
and 4) text features. This information should be enough to determine the predominant
feature type efficiently.

But I'm not sure whether multi-features fit this pattern or not, so I'll have to do a
little more digging before I'm done.

Best regards/Med venlig hilsen
Lars V. Nielsen
Hvm, Denmark