From: Flavio Hendry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 7:23 AM
To: Darrin Clement
Cc: MapInfo-L
Subject: Re[2]: MI-L HP plotting problems with oversized Paper

Hi Darrin

Thanks for the answer. This compatibility stuff seems to me an excuse
and a bad one in addition (there would be a limit under Win 95/98, so
what ? there are more limits then that in Win95/98, not ???). And i.e.
Corel is compatible and works with large size stuff and under 95/98...

And second what MapInfo says seems not correct to me, such as it i.e.
works using the HP 5000 RTL/HPGL Driver (there we were able to print
out more 2.500 meters = about 100") with a resolution of 600 dpi
which is way over the mentioned 28000 pixels - or not ? And with the
HP 800 I get the gray background already with way smaller paper sizes
(and it is btw the same driver).

Anyway, I think MapInfo should solve this problem! ... or is all still
16 bit = DOS 1.0 compatible ... ;-) ...

Best regards
Flavio

> We've had similar problems and here is the explanation from
> MapInfo - which actually solved the problem.  Short answer -
> the maximum page dimension (in inches) multiplied by the
> resolution needs to be less than 28,000.  But here's the
> "official" answer:

> *****
> It sounds like you are running into the pixel limitation for
> printing in
> MapInfo.  Currently, in order to support Windows 95/98, as
> well as Windows
> 2000/NT platforms, there is approximately a 28,000 pixel
> limitation for
> printouts.  Cases of "gray layouts," like your situation,
> are usually
> caused by trying to create printouts larger than 28,000
> pixels.

> The number of pixels can be calculated by multiplying the
> dimensions (in
> inches) by the resolution.  For instance, if your resolution
> is 600 dpi and
> your plot is 28", there are 16,800 pixels in that dimension.
> That is below
> the limit, so it should work.  The only thing that I can
> think of that
> would put you over the limit with a layout that is only 28"
> is the
> resolution.  You would need to check the settings or
> documentation for your
> printer to see what resolution it is printing at and lower
> it if possible.
> *****

############      Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards