Hi Warren,

Sorry I have missed your posting on November 11 last year.
I am Japanese living in Japan and using MapInfo Pro 7 English on WindowsXP Japanese.
MapInfo Pro Japanese is more expensive than the original English version. :-)

It can handle Japanese data encoded with Shit-JIS.
Sometimes it does not appear properly on screen.
But I can use SQLs on two byte Japanese basis and Japanese fonts can be printed properly on paper.

So I suppose what you need is Japanese Windows or Japanese setting on your English Windows ( I do not know how to do).
With MI pro English, you can handle Chinese language on Windows Chinese, Korean language on Windows Korean.

I used to try Unionway ( www.unionway.com ) for MapInfo pro 6.0 English on Windows98SE English.
It worked with Japanese language data but "better than nothing" level.

I do not know exactly what you are trying to do but please give me more specified purpose if possible.

Kind Regards,
Hiko
Kazuhiko Yamashita
Fukuoka, Japan
No answers from the list on this one but I did get an answer from the
technical guys at MapWorld. At the moment there is no native Unicode support
so my Japanese data will have to work on Japanese versions of Pro at the
moment. This will all change this year with the .NET direction.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Hello all,

Thought I'd ask a question for a change!

Does anyone know if Pro (and TAB files generally) support double byte
(Unicode) characters? I know that this must be supported in the many
localised versions of Pro (especially non Latin-alphabet based languages). I
have Unicode fonts which support the character areas I need (Japanese to
start) and would like to get data into TAB files for use within Pro. Any
help/tips from international -L'ers would be appreciated.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.