You are raising two issues:

1 - the limitations of both labeller and autolabel at creating labels for
the objects in the windows (and not for the entire layer)
2 - the impact of changing the size of text objects.

To the first question, I have no solution; even if you make a selection of
the entire layer when it is not showing entirely in the window, only the
visible objects will be selected. Both programs rely on the "autolabel"
feature, one with a call to AutoLabel command, the other to the "auto"
keyword in the "Set map ... layer ...auto on" and MB reference states
clearly that the creation of labels is limited to the visible part of the
map

The second issue is the change of scale of text objects. What you say about
"labels moving around when changing the font size" is inherent to the
definition of text objects: they have only one fixed parameter, their anchor
point (upper left corner of the text rectangle). The height of the text
rectangle determines the point size of the text. Changing text size will
change their apparent location relative to their reference object. It is
part of the wall I hit when trying to write a Rescale mbx: finding what
should be the anchor point of a rescaled object that would position the
rescaled  text relative to the original (centered, upper-left corner, .. as
with labels relative to reference points). Any solution on this general
issue will be welcome.

One work around the labelling-only-viewable-objects is to view the entire
layer, set the label parameters in the layer control then, create the
labels, then re-center/zoom the map. The question is to find the right
parameters to use for getting the right results at the desired-view zoom.

The ratio between full-layer zoom and desired-view zoom should be the
inverse of the ratio of label-font-size for automatic labelling to text-size
at desired-view zoom. Ex: if desired-view zoom is 100 d.u. and text-size 10
pts, if the view-entire zoom id 500 d.u., the point size for labels in the
layer control should be set at 2.

One must also take into account the offset value; it is expressed in pixels
then converted into real distance when label objects are created; pixel is a
constant on the screen but not when converted in real measurements. One
should thus apply the same ratio as for the font size to the offset value.
In the above conditions, if the desired offset is 20 pixels, it should be
set at 4 in the label parameters of the layer control.

Having "framed" the problem and a possible solution, I would like to know if
anything can be added/improved, and if it would be of interest to add that
kind of functionality to these applications, to both or to which one in
priority?

Jacques Paris
e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MapBasic-MapInfo support  http://www.paris-pc-gis.com