I made a turn around of those limitation using the FME from SAFE software to compare
changes between two files.

All I had to do is to save the file I was working on on an other name (temporarly).
Run the FME script to compare file1 and file2.

At the time I did this, I was a very moderate user of FME. The program took me 4-5
hours to make from scratch and it has been almost two years I haven't use that
software when I did it. Hust to say that it's pretty straight forward to use it. Every
newer version becomes more visual and easy to use.

Results were given to show me if an element was modified like a line length changed or
polygon nodes moved, what part was unchanged (ex: what portion of a line that has been
made longuer before it was change so we could see the modif compare to original) ,
what part was, what part of polygon was changed (surface), if new element was created,
what objects were left completely intact, etc.

You can download an evaluation copy of that software at www.SAFE.com

Note: SAFE is the one making the Universal Translator in Mapinfo Pro (which is a very,
very, very basic version of the FME)

It's a great software for anyone manipulating data or has to work with multiple file
format!

Gilbert