Greetings all!

I apologize for not summarizing sooner... we've been a little busy at work
going in four different directions and I finally have a chance to do a quick
summary:

I ran the UT on the shape files located on the network and had an error. I
transferred the files locally (as Affie Rajabally suggested) and ran the UT
again and received an error.

As Ben Greenberg suggested, I attempted to translate to .MIF (locally) and
then import into .TAB, and received an error.

As Gilber Hache suggested, I attempted to open the shape file directly and
was unable to open it (it opened, but there were no spatial elements shown).

I looked in the log file (as Uffe Kousgaard and Karl Kliparchuk suggested),
and got the same recurring message:

The messages are SUCCESSFUL all the way up until the following -

"MapInfo file 'C:\PRODUCTS\FIBER\State
Bdys\albq_200_buildingfootprints_9-20_nad83_sp_feet.tab' could not be
opened.  Check that file path name is valid.  Also check for adequate disk
space.
MapInfo file 'C:\PRODUCTS\FIBER\State
Bdys\albq_200_buildingfootprints_9-20_nad83_sp_feet.tab' could not be
opened.  Check that file path name is valid.  Also check for adequate disk
space.
FME Session Duration: 0.5 seconds

MapInfo file 'C:\PRODUCTS\FIBER\State
Bdys\albq_200_buildingfootprints_9-20_nad83_sp_feet.tab' could not be
opened.  Check that file path name is valid.  Also check for adequate disk
space.
Program Terminating

Translation FAILED."

I have PLENTY of adquate disk space on my HD (over 3Gb available).

I attempted the local translation both in a Lat/Long projection, and as the
same projection that the file was created in (as Steve Wallace suggested),
but I still have the same error.
Frank Phillips suggested a possible shapefile corruption, so I ensured that
the elements were there... dbf, shp, and shx. I also tried out another shape
file just in case, and the same result occurred.

All the files are being opened/translated in a fresh new window (as
suggested by Eric DeVries - GO ARMY!  :)

Eric Blasenheim (with MapInfo) suggested either the view is wrong or the
wrong coordinate system is used. I have bypassed both of those approaches.
Eric did mention that MI Pro's support of ESRI shape does not include a
dissection of the PRJ file associated with a Shape file. Of interesting note
is that NONE of the Shape files I am trying to translate have any associated
PRJ files. I tried the translator on a couple of Shape files I have with
associated PRJ files and they translated PERFECTLY!

So that about sums it up and hopefully gives credit where due. I am still at
odds, if it is a requirement of an associated PRJ file I can handle that. If
not, then I would definitely like to take up Dale Lutz's offer to send a
sample dataset for analysis (Dale works for Safe Software, the makers of the
UT and FME).

???

-Ross E. Bagwell
GIS Manager
Universal Access Inc

This communication contains information from Universal Access, Inc. (or its
affiliates) which is confidential and may also be privileged.  It is for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended
recipient(s), please note that any distribution, copying or use of this
communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  If you have
and then destroy any copies of it.