From: David Reid [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 2:16 AM
To: 'Ryan Morgan, Aerials Express'
Subject: RE: MI-L Automatic Square Quartering?

Ryan,

I'm ashamed to admit it but I couldn't think of a more elaborate way than to
just have to get out the elbow grease and do this the hard way.  I only had
about 700 sections to quarter though.

Here's what I did.

First I visually checked that all the centroids of my sections "looked
centered". As you are probably aware, many times when a polygon object is
created, it's centroid is not center. To center it, one has to convert the
polygon/region to a polyline, then back to a polygon, this generally
recenters the centroid.

Ok,
Naturally I saved a copy of my sections table to work on. In this editing
table I created a xcord ycord column and updated those with the section's
centroid x & y

I then created a second working table as a points only table. For this
table, I simply selected all the sections, then used "Edit" "Clear map
objects only".  Then I did a "Create Points" function on the centroid
columns created and updated earlier.

I then opened my first sections editing table with the polygons, then on top
of that, I opened my new points table.

In the costmetic layer and using the polygon tool, I began creating the
first of two separate huge "patchwork" polygons.

To try and elaborate.  I began creating the first polygon by snapping nodes
to the "Sections" centroid objects. On the vertical I went up the centroids
on the first column of "Sections" then back down the centroids of the second
column of "Sections. Going past the outermost boundary of each end. I would
then skip over to the centroids of the third column of sections and repeat
the process for this the third column and the fourth.  I did this the entire
width (west to east) of my county.

I then made my "Sections" table editable, selected all sections, targeted
them, then "Split" them based on the huge "sideways E" polygon I created in
the costmetic layer, thus splitting all sections into "East & West Halfs".

WHEW... I then repeated this creating this big poly in the cosmetic layer
but now to split the section halfs thus creating  four quarters.

Maintaing a specific order to my "Splitting" I did manage to update my new
quarter sections with "NW NE SE SW" appropriately and in a short amount of
time, it just took some 'fiddling' with various syntax in the Update
function of MI.

Again, this is not a pretty way of doing this but for me, it was quicker
than trying to develop an MBX to do the job.

I call this "Arts & Crafts GIS" as the process is rather simple minded :))

HTH,
Dave