The ESRI SHP format seems to surround me everywhere I look. If I could just
read in that darned SHP data all my worries and base layers would be solved?

And MapInfo has a nifty data in-porter.  Sounds simple? Over the years I
have discovered some essential truths primarily in that you sort-of-only
needed two files a SHP and an associated DBF.  The DBF contains a data
structure and a SHP that reveals a mapping object. Then punch the Universal
Translator engine and moments later conversion had occurred... Most of the
time.

Most of the time because for those shipping SHP data around telepathic
powers became necessary to reveal the projection metadata of these DBF/SHP
pairs.  No more accurate misplacement... If you only knew the exact
projection of the original data.

Since ArcGIS8.x, I understand that there is now a third file, the PRJ or
projection format that should help automate the direct spatial reference of
these files?  If so is this PRJ file the missing metadata file for the
DBF/SHP duo? Should we generate these PRJ files whenever we export a
TAB2SHP?

MidNight Mapper