Thanks for all the answers that fell into two groups:

FIXED_IM. MB/MBX one of Kevin Mahoney MI utilities of a bygone era

One comment pointed at the risk of failure on large files. It should be
worthwhile to see if it cannot be improved with what is now known about
large file handling with MB. I think I heard something about committing a
table from time to time, or even closing MI and restarting it?

INDIRECT procedures that require using an external program to import fixed
length text and export it in a more appropriate program. Two possibilities
Excel and Access

Excel: easy to use but limitations in number of cases (lines) up to 65500
with excel 2000, and of variables (256 but if it is to exported in DBF only
255)

Access: less obvious to use for non-initiate , practically unlimited number
of cases but one index column added in exporting it that must be removed
later on.

Any problem encountered in specific conditions, with special formats ????

Jacques Paris
e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MapBasic-MapInfo support  http://www.paris-pc-gis.com