From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 12:38 PM
To: Christine Schildhauer
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MI-L drawing order for lines

Christine and all of MapInfo -L,

Let me dispel some incorrect information that is being listed.

   There is no way to permanently control the draw order of objects within
   a layer.  Layers are the only unit of draw order. Objects are drawn in
   the order they come back from the spatial index and that is determined
   by the density of objects in an area, the size of the internal blocks
   and the implementation of the data source (MapInfo native files, MapInfo
   data stored in a database such as MapInfo SpatialWare or third party
   vendors such as Oracle where we have absolutely no say over the order).
   The order is definitely NOT the order in which the data is created and
   is not in any way related to the Rowids of the records. What makes some
   people think this is true is the fact that when you insert or edit data
   in MapInfo Professional, the edits are stored in a temporary separate
   file with its own indexes. MapInfo manages the issues so that only the
   latest edited version of the object is displayed. This fact results in a
   display order where objects that have not yet been saved are displayed
   on top. However, as soon as those changes are committed, that order is
   permanently lost. So, I suppose you could cut and paste data that you
   wanted on top, quickly print or save images of the map and then get the
   result you wanted. However, that is only temporary.
   Exporting and reimporting via MIF has essentially the same impact as a
   pack which can, in ways that are hard to determine, change the draw
   order.

The best way to do this is definitely to separate the objects into separate tables or
to use query tables to dynamically query the correct objects and put those result set
tables into the correct layer order. The speed will be best as separate tables but
depending on how much data you have, using
queries may be and often is quite acceptable.   I am interested in why this
is not a viable option.

As to why we do not have this feature, I would start a different thread on that. The
short answer is that we could but it is unclear how one would decide what was drawn
when. If the criteria was based on data, the implementation would best do queries just
as you can now. If the criteria was arbitrary, then you have some draw order list,
which is only manageable for small amounts of data and will be slow because the draw
code can't use the spatial index.

Like I said, if you want to continue this discussion, I would start a new thread.

Eric Blasenheim
Software Architect
MapInfo Corporation

Mail List: