From: Warren Vick, Europa Technologies Ltd.
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 December 2004 13:53
To: 'Data Directions'; 'MapInfo List'
Subject: RE: MI-L : Speed processing issues

Hello Bill,

I do processing that takes days even on a high performance machine so I
know how you feel. Your processing time will be influenced by a number
of factors. Let's put the software ones aside for now as you were asking
about hardware.

512Mb is a "little light" these days but it depends on what your process
does. Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and select Task Manager > Performance. You can
see here what your system is consuming memory wise. As long as you have
physical memory available and do not dip into the virtual pool, then
your current memory is fine.

Your processing will help quite a bit if there is some number crunching
going on but I would suggest that you're fine with 2.4GHz. Unless you
are running other things too, you probably would not notice much
difference with additional processors either.

My favourite area for update is disks and I'm a huge fan of SCSI drives.
They are so much faster than EIDE and will help cut through your data
very quickly. I have no experience with SATA but am told they're very
good too.

The cheapest option is to look at your code, over and over again. There
is nearly always a potential change in there which looks so small, but
over the processing iterations can chip hours out of run times. It's a
shame that MB never had an execution profiler to help with such things.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.
http://www.europa-tech.com