If you opened this mail thinking the subject was about Bluetooth-enabling
MapBasic apps, I apologize, it's not. Instead I want to share a bad
experience I just had, resulting in a hung MapBasic refusing to compile
under any circumstances.

The other day I bought one of the later Logitech mice, MX-900, which is a
cordless mouse using Bluetooth for communication. I installed the companion
software, including a 3rd party software called Widcomm Bluetooth software
version 1.4.2.21 (aka. BTW). Right off all worked ok.

But when I logged onto the same machine using a different user account from
the one I installed under (both accounts have administrator privilegies),
MapBasic refused to compile in any version back to 4.1. Not with a command
line, not with any functions in the MB IDE. It did however still work as an
IDE, and it still would compile under the original user account. When hung,
MapBasic had to be killed using the task manager.

I then un-installed and re-installed the Widcomm software under the second
account, but now MapBasic refused to compile under both accounts. The only
solution left was to uninstall all MX-900 companion software, which luckily
freed MapBasic to do its job.

What complete baffles me in this, is why a nice and simple (and old-timer!)
program like MapBasic can possibly hang as a result of some latter days
technology like Bluetooth !?!

The pragmatic conclusion seems to be : be wary of Bluetooth software
packages (especially Widcomm?), if you have multiple accounts and use
MapBasic. You've hereby been duly warned :-)

Has anyone else had similar problems with Bluetooth related software ?

Ps! Running Windows 2000 Server

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Lars V. Nielsen
Hvenegaard & Meklenborg