To All,
I agree MapInfo needs to get on the stick and decide on a geodatbase format
for themselves(not Oracle spatial because normal small businesses cannot
afford it).

Some thoughts I have on differences are:

ESRI tools have a steeper learning curve than MapInfo. ESRI seems to assume
you used their tools in college so had plenty of time to mess about with
them. This isn't the case for most business users. So MapInfo tends to be
more user friendly especially to a business who is just beggining their GIS
program.

Then there is the cost difference MapInfo is quite a bit cheaper than the
ESRI tools.

I have a unique situation where I work because our company is so huge and
made up of so many other smaller companies that we bought. So we have every
GIS system you can think of from Mapserver to ESRI(3.x - 8.3) to MapInfo to
G.R.A.S.S. to FME, Microstation, AutoCAD..... basically if you can think of
a CAD or GIS system we probably have to support it here. The only exception
to that is Manifold, we don't have any systems currently using that but I'm
sure we will someday.

So I get to see these systems side by side in everyday use. Hands down
MapInfo is easier to use. It's cheaper, and long term maintenance costs are
much cheaper(ESRI likes to break compatibility in their new releases while
MapInfo doesn't).

Another thing that is important to think about is if eventually you will
want to share your data with other users in the business who aren't GIS
professionals. Both major companies have a free viewer. ESRI locks theirs
down hard in what you can and can't do with it. MapInfo on the other hand
has a super functional viewer that is also highly extensible. The only thing
they forbid you from doing with it is giving it the ability to save edits to
tables. So say you have four or five GIS people in your market but you have
1300 internal users that need to search and use that data behind the
firewall(that's what we have in one of the markets where I work). MapInfo is
definitely the way to go here if that is your case.

The one major reason for me to use ESRI tools is when I am doing heavy
thematic type work or research of some kind. ESRI has much better data
analysis tools and when you combine that with a geodatbase for querying ect.
MapInfo really doesn't compete well in that dept.

For sharing maps on the web we use Mapserver(open source) because hands down
in every dept it beats both MapInfo's MapExtreme and ESRI's ArcIms. It
really takes a professional developer to set it up though, but so do the
other two solutions.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a GIS system. You have to
look at what type of work you will be doing, who are your end users of your
data, ect. and base your decisions on that. I think MapInfo and ESRI really
target two separate types of GIS work so you need to decide which of those
two your business model mostly closely fits and go with that.

Andy