John,

There was a good article in this past issue of Journal
of Forestry- if you have access to it, there's an
article that compares different GIS systems in terms
of price, ease of use, number of functions, etc.  The
article is Digital Mapping Alternatives: GIS for the
Busy Forester.  One in particular was a free system
called fGIS from the Wisconsin Dept of Natural
Resources.  You can access that here:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/forestry/GIS/Applications/FGIS/
 I suggest reading the whole article, and here's a
link to purchase it, if you cannot access it at your
local university library.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/saf/jof/2005/00000103/00000004/art00003
Of course, MapInfo is my #1 choice. . .  ;-)

Mapping/GIS
Town of Hampden
Hampden, ME 04444