Dave

Well, the ECW-JPEG 2000 SDK is free from ER Mapping. I'm not 100% sure
whether the security implementation (JSEC) is available within this, but
it's easy enough to check. ER Mapping have good response to enquiries, and
there are several public forums linked to from their main website.

Then, it would certainly be possible for you to write what's needed within
your application to unlock files, but MapInfo (and probably few standard GIS
products) would accept a bitstream - they expect a disk file. So, you would
have a transient on-disk file which is "a security risk" (ie, someone could
swipe it).

IL Thomas
GeoSciSoft  - Perth, Australia