On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:15:29AM +1000, Ellingham Morgan wrote:
> Hi all, apologies for the absolute pointless request, but my IT peers
> seem to think MapBasic isn't 'real' programming but merely an automating
> script language ... what do the rest of you think?

Depends on what you mean by "real programming."

It's a "real" programming language, but it doesn't compile to native
machine language. From what I understand, the compiling process tokenizes
the source code which is then interpreted by MapInfo. However, MapBasic
applications must be compiled and if you have multiple modules, they must
be linked. You can also link stdcall DLLs to it. It supports typed
variables, structures, arrays, looping and branching.

However, it can also be a "scripting" language as long as you leave out
looping and branching and the user interface. For example, workspaces are
MapBasic scripts, and you can also script in mapbasic using the MapBasic
window.

- Bill Thoen