I am late getting into the fray because I expected to see it coming to the
surface much before now, or I may have overlooked it (my apologies in that
case). In very simple terms I would equate scripting to MapBasic in the
MapBasic Window or in a WOR (MB_WOR) and programming to a MB application
(MB_MBX).

I know that there were some attempts (who has heard of them or remembers
them?) at introducing "unpredictability" or "interactivity" in theatre
plays. Their scripts were written including variants at some points. But it
did not really caught up. I like that "origin" of the term from the theater.

Even if it is written with elements of a programming language, a script is a
linear development where each command is interpreted sequentially one after
the other and will work only for some "parent" software. MB_WOR needs MI to
work, and will do not a thing without MI.

A non-linear package of instructions requires an intermediate step to
transform its complex flowchart into a package of instructions that some
software can understand (MB compiler to transform a .MB into a .MBX) or that
some operating system can treat as stand alone program (a VB program becomes
a .EXE).

The question of the "distance" between a programming language and pure
machine language is quite beyond what I think the basic difference between
scripting and programming is in fact.

Jacques Paris