I / we should expect that MapInfo Corp will develop a cross-compiler or middleware product which will translate existing MapBasic code/calls into equivalent .Net code/calls.

They have already done this for MapXtreme to Envinsa, so you would expect the same for the desktop products…

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lars I. Nielsen (GisPro)
Sent: Friday, 12 May 2006 7:23 PM
To: MapInfo-L@lists.directionsmag.com
Subject: Re: [MI-L] new app "Project Grande"?

There is a huge gap between supporting the small MapBasic subset needed for workspace support, and support for the full MapBasic language as we know it today.

As I understand it, there are fundamental differences in the COM and .Net data models (selections, thematics etc.), resulting in many MB commands being "wrong" in the context of the new data model.

How this can be reconciled remains to be seen. It will most likely only be a subset of MapBasic that'll be supported in Grande, rendering many mbx's invalid.

The better option - imho - is for MapInfo to open source MapBasic, opening up for possible 3rd party enhancements. But is MapInfo willing to do that ?

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Lars I. Nielsen
GisPro

Peter Horsbøll Møller wrote:

At MapWorld last week they showed a version of Grande that was able to open a workspace (.WOR), that contains MapBasic commands.
So they have already started implementing some sort of MapBasic support into the Grande Project, which will be the next generation desktop GIS from MapInfo.

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.
computer system network.