Some of you may not know that the ASF actually does have an OS X
machine (a Mac mini, so it’s not a speed demon) in the build infrastructure.
While messing around with getting all? of the trunk jobs reconfigured to do
Java 8 and separate maven repos, I noticed that this box tends to sit idle most
of the day. Why take advantage of it?  Therefore, I also setup two jobs for us
to use to help alleviate the “I don’t have access to anything but Linux” excuse
when writing code that may not work in a portable manner.

Jobs #1:

        https://builds.apache.org/view/H-L/view/Hadoop/job/Precommit-HADOOP-OSX

        This basically runs Apache Yetus precommit with quite a few of the
unnecessary tests disabled.  For example, there’s no point in running
checkstyle.  Note that this job takes the *full* JIRA issue id as input.  So
‘HADOOP-9902’ not ‘9902’.  This allows for one Jenkins job to be used for all
the Hadoop sub-projects (HADOOP, HDFS, MR, YARN).  “But my code is on github
and I don’t want to upload a patch!”  I haven’t tested it, but it should also
take a URL, so just add a .diff to the end of your github compare URL and put
that in the issue box.  It hypothetically should work.

Job #2:

        I’m still hammering on this one because the email notifications aren’t
working to my satisfaction plus we have some extremely Linux-specific code in
YARN… but

https://builds.apache.org/view/H-L/view/Hadoop/job/hadoop-trunk-osx-java8/

        … is a “build the world” job similar to what is currently running under
the individual sub projects.  (This actually makes it one of the few “build
everything” jobs we have running. Most of the other jobs only build that
particular sub project.).  It does not run the full unit test suite and it also
does not build all of the native code.  This gives us a place to start on our
journey of making Hadoop actually, truly run everywhere.  (Interesting side
note: It’s been *extremely* consistent in what fails vs. the Linux build hosts.)

        At some point, likely after YETUS-390 is complete, I’ll switch this job
over to be run by Apache Yetus in qbt mode so that it’s actually easier to
track failures across all dirs.  A huge advantage over raw maven commands.

        Happy testing everyone.

        NOTE: if you don’t have access to launch jobs on builds.apache.org,
you’ll need to send a request to private@.  The Apache Hadoop PMC has the keys
to give access to folks.