> On 21 Aug 2017, at 22:22, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Steve,
>
> You can be strict & ruthless about the timelines. Anything that doesn’t get
> in by mid-September, as was originally planned, can move to the next release
> - whether it is feature work on branches or feature work on trunk.
>
> The problem I see here is that code & branches being worked on for a year are
> now (apparently) close to being done and we are telling them to hold for 7
> more months - this is not a reasonable ask..
>
> If you are advocating for a 3.1 plan, I’m sure one of these branch ‘owners’
> can volunteer. But this is how you get competing releases and split bandwidth.
>
> As for compatibility / testing etc, it seems like there is a belief that the
> current ‘scoped’ features are all tested well in these areas and so adding
> more is going to hurt the release. There is no way this is the reality, trunk
> has so many features that have been landing for years, the only way we can
> collectively attempt towards making this stable is by getting as many parties
> together as possible, each verifying stuff that they need. Not by excluding
> specific features.

If everyone is confident & its coming together, it does make sense. I think
those of us (myself included) who are merging stuff in do have to recognise
that we really need to follow it through by being responsive to any problem
-and with the release manager having the right to pull things out if its felt
to be significantly threatening the stability of the final 3.0 release.

I think we should also consider making the 3.0 beta the feature freeze; after
that fixes on the features go in, but nothing else of significance, otherwise
the value of the beta "test this code more broadly" is diminoshed

-steve