I'm not sure if this is the cause or not but if you look carefully there is a difference in the spacing between characters. This will cause the bbox for the label to be larger? maybe and it will bump off labels that now collide with the longer labels. You can try decreasing the BUFFER on the label to allow them to be closer together. But I suspect that beyond that there is not much you can do because that labels are just physically larger than before.

-Steve W.

Doyon, Jean-Francois wrote:
G'day,

We're experimenting with AGG, and have noticed a little problem ... not sure of
the source, or whether we can address it through a mapfile though.

Note these 2 images:

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/gd.gif
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/agg.png

One is GD/GIF, the other is AGG/PNG.  All other things are equal (MapServer
5.0.2).

Labels that are to the left of the point seem to be placed differently ... Look top-right
("Les Escoumins", "Saint Anne de Port Neuf", etc ...) for an example, though it
happens all over the place I think.  Labels to the right of the point however seem ok.

Is this a bug? A design change?  Can anything be done from the mapfiel to
mitigate this?

Oh and what's the recommended FreeType version these days? This MapServer is
runnning against 2.1.10.

Thank you,

Jean-François Doyon
Applications Development Solutions | Solutions de développement d'applications
IT Support Services | Services de support TI
Information Technology Services | Services de la technologie d'information
Shared Services Office | Bureau des services partagés
Corporate Management and Services Sector | Secteur de la gestion et des
services intégrés
Natural Resources Canada | Ressources naturelles Canada
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0E9
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Telephone | Téléphone 613-992-4902
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-995-3252
Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 613-996-4397