Hi Andreas,

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLK wrote:

Well, looked at the mail archive back till Jan 07 but could not find
something about it in a first quick look. Maybe you can point me to the
thread?

The thread was titled "ModMapServer?" and started on March 13:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-dev/2008-March/006869.html

Sounds easy, doesn't it? Well, there's a last step which makes it IMHO
being a real hack: the MapServer functions output the content type
directly to the output stream via things like
'msIO_printf("Content-type: text/xml%c%c",10,10);' which have to be
modified to set it in the Apache's request_rec.

I don't know what Apache expects exactly, but I think it would be reasonable to create a new msReturnHTTPHeaders() function that would replace all those printf's for the headers, and could pass the information to Apache when running as a module.

There are still some things to improve I believe but that would require
a deeper look into the source. Mainly this would involve a modification
of the cleanup code to prevent the destruction of label, font and symbol
caches. Also, in that environment it doesn't make much sense to close
database connections so we could keep them open from Apache startup to
shutdown and so would be nice to prepare the queries in the startup
sequence for faster handling at runtime...

The FastCGI code should already handle that kind of stuff, so if you try to follow the same execution path when running as an Apache module then you may not have any change to make.

With respect to keeping database connections opened, the PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER" directive already does that, and keeps the connections between requests in FastCGI mode, see the PROCESSING docs in
http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/layer

Daniel, I would prefer to send a commented patch directly to you first
and let you decide what to do with it. Remember that I already missed
some things with the metadata thing... May be tried to improve the world
but really created the hell on earth ;-)

Well, your patch doesn't have to be final before you share it publicly. I'm already swamped with stuff and don't have much time to review the patch in the next little while, plus there are a few people who expressed interest in this feature on the list and that would work out the issues with you much quicker than myself, so I think you should share your work and try to gather feedback from other interested parties as early as possible. That's taking full advantage of the open source way of doing things: throw an idea out there and use the feedback from the community to help you refine it.

Thanks for your interest in pursing those ideas BTW!

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/