Hi All,

Thanks to everyone that contributed.  The mapfile that renders (thanks
to Tom [Burlington] Kralidis for it) is below.  I am still working on
it not being the projection that makes the state of MN look short and
squat.  If anyone wants a screenshot, contact me and i'll send it to
you directly rather than to the listserv.

Thanks everybody for your help,
matt

MAP
#
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\ol\wms.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
#
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\ol\wms.map&mode=map

    ################
    # Map attributes
    ################
  IMAGETYPE   PNG
  EXTENT      -100 30 90 55
  SIZE        660 495
  IMAGECOLOR  255 255 255
  FONTSET     "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/fonts/fonts.list"

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END

    ####################
    # Web settings
    ####################
  WEB
    IMAGEPATH   "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/tmp/"
    IMAGEURL    "/tmp/"
    METADATA
        "wms_title"           "WMS Demo Server"
        "wms_onlineresource"
"http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?center=45,-95&zoom=6";
        "wms_srs"             "EPSG:4326 EPSG:26915"
    END
  END

    ####################
    # State
    # Background shows through missing precincts to show where no
votes will be coming from
    ####################
  LAYER
    NAME              "state"
    METADATA
        "wms_title"   "state"
        "wms_format" "image/png"
    END
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:26915"
    END
    CONNECTIONTYPE    postgis
    CONNECTION        "user=postgres dbname=gisvote password=postgres"
    DATA              "the_geom from shp_state"
    STATUS            on
    TYPE              polygon

    CLASS
      NAME            "state"
      COLOR           200 200 200
    END

  END # Layer state

END

--
It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are
broken that we come to repair the world.