Hi All,

I'm posting further findings and observations.  I made a simple
mapfile and dumped the shape information to a .shp file.  I have made
a .zip file with all of the components to verify what I will be
saying, and will provided it upon request to individuals (don't want
to pollute inboxes on the listserv indiscriminantly).

First, I have discovered that when I render the shapefile NOT as a
WMS, but just with a url like:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tb\ex.map&mode=map

the coords are unprojected, and I get the expected (tall and skinny)
map of MN.  When I call mapserver as a WMS (with epsg:26915), like:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tb\ex.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&LAYERS=state&BBOX=184056.505,4809728.25,767381.245,5478975.75&SRS=EPSG:26915&format=image/png&width=800&height=600

then I get a map, but the map stretches to the dimensions I set the
image 'height' and 'width' parameters to.  This does not happen with
the non-WMS request.

So the point is, my WMS map calls stretch as a function of the image
width and height (which is how it is called for openlayers).  If I
want the unprojected map via WMS (that doesn't stretch based on the
tile image dimensions), how do I configure my WMS url, or .map file
(particularly for openlayers)?

Thanks again for everybody's help,
Matt

--
It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are
broken that we come to repair the world.