OK, this is great. I think I learned something new then.
With ANGLE AUTO you can ask GD to draw the whole string at the specified angle. But there is not equivalent function in GD for ANGLE FOLLOW. The only way we can do that is one character at a time, changing the insertion point and angle of each character.

I know Thomas has put a lot of effort into make the AGG render well integrated with mapserver. It would probably be a good idea to document this issue and the fact that the outlinecolor is what is causing in a bug. http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ If you do not have an OSGeo userid, follow the link to get one first.

Thank you for your patience and Thank you, Tanya, for your excellent observations on this issue.

-Steve W

Jackey Cheung wrote:
Following TC's suggestion, I've done a test.

With this map file layer:

    LAYER
        NAME                            "road"
        STATUS                        DEFAULT
        TYPE                            LINE
        UNITS                            METERS
        CONNECTIONTYPE        POSTGIS
CONNECTION "host=localhost dbname=ttt user=uuu password=xxx" DATA "geom FROM view_road_ar USING UNIQUE oid USING SRID=4326"

        LABELITEM                    "name"

        CLASS
            STYLE
                WIDTH                    16
                COLOR                    0 0 0
                ANTIALIAS            TRUE
            END
            STYLE
                WIDTH                    15.8
                COLOR                    255 200 64
                ANTIALIAS            TRUE
            END
            LABEL
                ANGLE                    FOLLOW

                ENCODING            "UTF-8"
                COLOR                    0 0 0
                OUTLINECOLOR    255 255 255
                TYPE                    TRUETYPE
                FONT                    arial
                SIZE                    24
                ANTIALIAS            TRUE
                POSITION            AUTO
                PARTIALS            FALSE
                BUFFER                50
            END
        END
    END

With nothing changed, only change the ANGLE to AUTO and FOLLOW, the generated images confirms the different processs of ANGLE AUTO & FOLLOW. Then I've done one more test which uses ANGLE FOLLOW, but with OUTLINECOLOR removed, then generated image shows "fractured" words.