Steve Lime wrote:
Would help if you could put together a test case for us to try. Without being
familiar with your
data it's hard to know what is right or wrong in the images. The label
parameter MINDISTANCE
is always given in pixels. In current versions it works of the centers of
labels although that will
change in the next release so that label size is taken into account.

Anyway, MINDISTANCE is considered when two labels are from the same layer, same
class and
have the same exact value. Would be interesting to see your data and mapfile...

Steve

Ok, after some playing I have a simple test that show's the label background problem.

The dup label problem on a line layer (road names) is not a problem, the LABEL_NO_CLIP=1 fixes my problem (or using OpenLayers singleTile).

The dup label problem on my annotate-pin layer is a problem. The layer seems to ignore LABEL_NO_CLIP=1. If I set OpenLayers to use singleTile then it displays correctly. I have a mapfile with the features defined inside (so no perl script is needed). shp2img displays it correctly because, I assume, it draws as one tile.

I also noticed, when drawn as one tile, all the lines (roads n stuff) draw correctly, but in OpenLayers with mult-tiles, it get's messed up.

One Tile:

http://maps.camavision.com/map4.png

Muiti-Tile:

http://maps.camavision.com/map3.png

I have a shape file, and a mapfile if anyone wants it, I'd prefer to send you the link privately though.

-Andy