Ian,

  Using the "standard" capabilities of a POINT layer wouldn't work?

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 12/11/2011 3:06 PM, Ian Walberg wrote:

Brent,

Ok, we had been using an earlier version of the mapserver documentation we had downloaded which had the text below.

The latest version now describes the discussed functionally more closely.

We had been looking at using the previous functionally to draw and rotate a symbol around the label text. Not what we are thinking but this could be used for something like displaying the wind speed and symbol rotated for the wind direction using a symbol around the outside.

To do this it sounds like a new GEOMTRANSFORM type.

Thanks

Ian

STYLE The start of a STYLE object.

Label specific mechanisms of the STYLE object are the GEOMTRANSFORM options:

GEOMTRANSFORM [labelpnt|labelpoly] Creates geometries that can be used for styling the label.

. labelpnt generates a point with its center at the middle of the bounding rectangle of the text.

. labelpoly generates the bounding rectangle for the text, with 1 pixel of padding added in all directions.

The resulting geometries can be styled using the mechanisms available in the STYLE object.

New in version 6.0.