Any suggestions on how something like this could be implemented using MapServer?

http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/example/elevation_profile.html

My front-end is OpenLayers, and the backend data are from SRTM. I'd like to
click on the map and create a line, and get back the elevation numbers for that
line. I only want the elevation numbers as I can optionally construct the
profile via a variety of ways.

I am assuming I could send a line WKT, but how would I query for the values
using MapServer?

Fwiw,
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/camptocamp/canvas/openlayers/examples/elevationCanvas.html
 seems to use a canvas implementation that doesn't seem to be available in my
standard-issue OL 2.11. Calling `this.layer.getPixelDataForViewPortPx` croaks
with "not a function" message. In any case, I don't really want the RGB values
under the mouse. I want the actual height values.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

--