On 05/31/2017 09:56 PM, Richard Greenwood wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmcke...@gatewaygeomatics.com
<mailto:jmcke...@gatewaygeomatics.com>> wrote:

        - be sure to have PostGIS create OIDs by default in your databases (see the
"default_with_oids" setting in postgresql.conf)

I have not seen that recommendation before. Can you explain why it is
beneficial?

Thanks,
Rich

Agreed.  This sounds wrong to me, and I can't imagine how it would improve
performance.  I can, however, see it causing problems.  The documentation says:

The use of OIDs in user tables is considered deprecated

And slightly paraphrased:

 OIDs are four-byte integer and therefore not large enough to provide
uniqueness to large individual tables

Please explain.

-Andy