Oh, once your MapServer backend is plugged-in be sure to add your weather site to the MapServer gallery, so we can help new users see what can be done... https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-Site-Gallery

Hello to Finland from the east coast of Canada!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/

On 2021-03-14 7:43 a.m., Stefan Gofferje wrote:
Hello all!

I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I just started tinkering with mapserver to see if I can make it work as a new backend for my weather website. I'm running www.saakeskus.fi as a free website for stormchasers in Finland since 2007. At the moment, it's tons of pre-rendered maps which are done with GrADS in a Joomla website. A while ago I started reworking the web part based on Leaflet and and started writing new map creation scripts in bash with GDAL. That works pretty nicely but results in one huge mapfile for each parameter at each time...
And then I stumbled over mapserver... :).
I have a test server running on docker on my home server at the moment and I'm making (I think) pretty good progress understanding how it works. I don't really know a lot about GIS stuff but I got my first working WMS maps from grib files out of it after about one and a half day of tinkering. On the old version of my website, I published almost all my GrADS scripts because there wasn't much information on the web on how to do nice weather maps with GrADS when I started. If I can make mapserver work for me, I'm planning to do the same with mapserver map files.

Looking forward to the community!
Have a beautiful Sunday!
Stefan