Neil,

Looking through your post, and by virtue of using the SDE 9.2 plugin, I'll assume you are connecting to ArcSDE 9.2.

First, what does the output of sdetable -o describe say for your SpeciesLabel column about the column data type? Is it NSTRING?

Here's the story on unicode characters and MapServer+ArcSDE 9.2... As long as your characters aren't wide format, ie UTF-8'ish, they should be printable and usable with the iconv support in GD/AGG. If they are wide, however, they are garishly converted down to UTF8. My rational for this approach is that many of the Arc tools emit unicode columns for string data in 9.2 SDE layers, but much of the time, people don't want/need that, and they are storing ASCII or LATIN-type data in them anyway. MapServer internally does not support wide characters, however, so there are some significant limitations in this approach, and if MapServer is converting your wide characters down to UTF8, you are pretty much screwed. Another huge limitation of this approach is that it is really only usable for labeling things. You cannot use any expressions on NSTRING columns in ArcSDE with MapServer and expect to do anything.

You shouldn't have to specify an encoding for the SDE layer because any NSTRING columns (which SDE stores as UTF-16) are smashed down to UTF8, which iconv/GD/AGG can render and deal with.

All of this blather says that the unicode support for MapServer is very immature, and if you can reload your ArcSDE layer to use regular string columns in your ArcSDE layers, things should work much smoother and as expected.

Howard