On 29 Feb 2008, at 16:52, Thomas Nichols wrote:
Cases in point:
 * Feynman
 * Dirac
 * Bohr

without thinking about inserting an extra line before the list to ensure that it gets correctly processed, aligning asterisks with zero indent so they get correctly processed, yada yada. Part of the joy of markdown (that sounds a little over-caffeinated) is precisely the laxity that makes it, I gather, so hard to implement.

That is also how I do it. :)

When I mentioned in a previous mail on the thread that I have found lists one of the hardest cases, I wasn't joking, as I consider this to be a valid case (albeit very much a psychotic edge case), and I'd expect it to do "the right thing":

   * L1I1
      1. L2I1
      2. L2I2
  * L1I2
   * L1I3
       * L3I1
      * L3I2

Please bear in mind I know nothing about the implementation complexity of this: if it is infeasible to have such a loose approach, I'll still write in Markdown instead of DocBook/HTML, and will simply learn the "new" syntax.

I, personally, feel that trading implementation complexity for 'correctness' and ease of use is a good trade off in Markdown!

Getting a parser that is loose enough to do "the right thing" in the above edge case is much less trivial than writing a strict parser, but *well worth it*.

Cheers
Tom