Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote on 2008/03/02 18:26:
On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:00 AM, John Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Tightening up indentation rules is definitely a breaking change, and I
 don't see any payoff for users here.  If anything, we should be making
 indentation rules more lenient.

My only desire is to figure out a way to allow the
whitspace-before-list-marker and also avoid the more general class of
"bugs" where a list is triggered by a sentence ending with a number on
an indented newline.

The reference citation I sent out on another thread is one example but
anything of the following form will trigger this:

* This is a list item with a hanging indent ending with a number,
  4. The rest is considered a child of a new ordered list, no matter
  what I do to this paragraph (other than rephrase to get rid of the
  hanging-indented digit+dot).

Which produces

    <ul>
    <li>This is a list item with a hanging indent ending with a number,
    <ol><li>The rest is considered a child of a new ordered list, no matter
    what I do to this paragraph (other than rephrase to get rid of the
    </ul>

Is this something we're comfortable with?  If not, can we come up with
something that avoids this? best, Joe

Actually, when I first read your example I was confused -- I thought '4.' was a second-level bullet point, despite the comma on the preceding line. If a human (admittedly a very tired one) can make this interpretation, I can live with a Markdown processor making it also.

John's proposed approach in http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2007-July/000690.html seems to fit well with what a naive (tired) human might expect to happen. As ever, YMMV.

-- Thomas.