Howdy,

I've been thinking a lot about definition list syntax, and what I did and didn't like about the PHP Markdown Extra syntax (which seems to be a de-facto standard, discount notwithstanding, yes?). What I came up with is a single character change to the PHP Markdown Extra syntax. I just published a detailed explanation of my thoughts and reasoning for this on [my blog](http://justatheory.com/computers/markup/modest-markdown-proposal.html ). If you would excuse the temerity of my late entry into what I'm sure has been a contentious issue, I would love feedback.

In a nutshell, I embrace the PHP Markdown Extra syntax, with one change: I would like to see the colon replaced with a tilde (for backwards compatibility, both should be supported). That means that a simple definition list would look like this:

Apple:
~ Pomaceous fruit of plants of the genus Malus in the family Rosaceae.
  ~ An american computer company.

Orange:
  ~ The fruit of an evergreen tree of the genus Citrus.

And a more complicated one would look like this:

Term 1:

~   This is a definition with two paragraphs. Lorem ipsum
    dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam
    hendrerit mi posuere lectus.

    Vestibulum enim wisi, viverra nec, fringilla in, laoreet
    vitae, risus.

~   Second definition for term 1, also wrapped in a paragraph
    because of the blank line preceding it.

Term 2:

~   This definition has a code block, a blockquote and a list.

        code block.

    > block quote
    > on two lines.

    1.  first list item
    2.  second list item

See my blog entry for more detailed description of why I prefer the tilde to the colon for this purpose. The best things about it are that it makes for a more natural bullet, already has precedent in dictionaries, and suggest equivalency if you're familiar with mathematics, which makes for a nice mnemonic.

Comments? Has this ship already sailed?

Best,

David