On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:44 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

See my blog entry for more detailed description of why I prefer the tilde to the colon for this purpose. The best things about it are that it makes for a more natural bullet, already has precedent in dictionaries, and suggest equivalency if you're familiar with mathematics, which makes for a nice mnemonic.

Comments? Has this ship already sailed?

Aristotle was kind enough to point me to some older posts on the subject of definition lists, where I saw this message from Mssr. Gruber: