2009/10/28 Brian Cameron <brian.came...@sun.com>

> John/Paul:
>

>  Is there any possibility of either web-casting or video-conferencing this
>> event?  Or at the very least recording it for later consumption?
>>
>> I (and I presume others in the world) would love to attend and contribute,
>> but I have no hope of being there physically.
>> I appreciate that this could be expensive and/or a hassle, so I expect the
>> answer "no".  But perhaps the GNOME powers-that-be could investigate setting
>> up infrastructure for this purpose in future events?
>>

> I would think that Google, being the tech-savvy company that they are
> probably does have some videoconferencing facilities.  Would be good
> to check out what they might be able to offer us.
>
> Though, their videoconferencing services might only work between various
> Google offices, so it might depend on whether or not interested people
> have a nearby Google office that they could visit.  This might work well
> for people in the bay area, for example.

No doubt it might. But what if you don't live there? My understanding is
that GNOME is not a Californian, or indeed US, organisation. It is global,
so a global solution is needed.

Also the continuing use of physical meetings in a time of recession, peak
oil and climate change, seems a bit old-school to me. I have no doubt that
physical meetings are far (far!) superior to virtual-only meetings; but
having the option of virtual participation would seem to be appropriate for
an organisation that sees itself as leading and cutting-edge. Isn't the
latest GNOME version "Made for sharing"?

Sorry for the rant. Sometimes us folks who are not in the USA, UK or EU feel
a bit left out ... <sniff> :-)

--
John Williams
Professional Idiot