Hi Miles,

DISCLAIMER: I am not speaking as an official representative of IBM or
Cloudant. I have cc'ed Mike Broberg, who can speak for them if
necessary. (I also want him to be aware of what I am saying here).

*** TL;DR: the people who are willing to spend anywhere from
thousands to millions of dollars on a CouchDB-based solution aren't
interested in CouchApps. I think the discussion to date is missing
this, and as such, is entirely unrepresentative of the current
market for Apache CouchDB.

The answer is that there are practically no customers of Cloudant/IBM
who are banking on CouchApps for any serious need. Every client that
I can think of - meaning they have a dedicated cluster, and aren't
using the shared cluster service - are using either a traditional
three-tier app server structure (Node.JS, Python, PHP, Ruby, Java,
.NET, etc.) or are doing client-side development on mobile platforms
(iOS + TouchDB, Android + PouchDB) where they are replicating back to
the Cloudant clusters for data exchange. In all of these scenarios,
replication is the "killer feature" for CouchDB, with the REST
interface a close second, and the ease of unstructured JSON data as
a third.

Cloudant built out a document-level (and field-level!) security
solution for one customer, about two years ago now. While there was
initial interest, performance considerations lead to the solution
being backburnered for further consideration. Even in that situation,
CouchApps weren't the primary concern -- database-level enforcement
of security rules *was*.

Within Cloudant, perhaps Simon Metson was the primary proponent of
using CouchApps for serious purposes. He used them in the "For
Developers" section of the website to help demonstrate various key
features of the platform, including the new MongoDB-inspired Mango
feature that's now a part of CouchDB 2.0. Diana Thayer (@garbados)
picked up on this and built a documentation framework on top of
CouchApps. This, to me, is perhaps the ideal use of CouchApps:
unsecured content, read-only, displayed in different formats based
upon what the end user needs, and self-hosted by CouchDB (so you
can view the product's documentation using the product itself).
More information on this use is at:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201410.mbox/%3C28603443.66.1414446738764.JavaMail.joant@Joans-MacBook-Pro.local%3E