On 4 Aug 2011, at 20:57, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've received a request to change two things on our website, regarding
> terminology:
>
> - Instead of solely using "open source", I was asked that we should also use
> "free software".

TL;DR summary:  FOSS is a reasonable term to use sparingly in English  (FOSS -
Free, Open Source Software).

Explanation: FLOSS is not a good term to use as it appears humourous to most
people not educated to regard it otherwise. Over-use of "Free" distracts most
native English speakers who rarely associate it with "Liberty" unless educated
to do so and I don't think that's TDF's role. FOSS - Free, Open Source Software
- works in many contexts as it does not have other common meanings and provokes
curiosity, but should not be over-used as jargon and acronyms make text look
complex. "Open Source" is a term widely recognised among computer users and is
thus a good colloquial term in contexts where the message is about LibreOffice
rather than about software freedom as a philosophy or ethical system.

So my recommendation would be to occasionally use the construct "Free, Open
Source software" (say once per page) and otherwise stick with "open source".

> - "Linux" should be referred to as "GNU/Linux".

For most people it really doesn't matter, and it makes some people happy, so
why not.