From: webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <webmas...@krackedpress.com>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Recruitment for Base (Was Re:
[steering-discuss] Base - a new mailing list?)
To: marketing@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Wednesday, 14 September, 2011, 2:39

On 09/13/2011 04:50 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
> Hi David, all,
>
> David Nelson wrote (13-09-11 09:05)
>
>> As a general thing in the LibreOffice project, I think we need to
>> think seriously about a determined recruitment drive, for Base and for
>> various other areas of the project. Just waiting for people to
>> volunteer does not seem to be enough to cater to our needs for
>> contributors.
>>
>> Marketing guys, can you give this consideration?
>
> Looks a good idea to me.
>
> The goal is to make it attractive for developers, isn't it?
> Of course those people are not attracted by a just mail base list for their
> own. They can be attracted when the work is considered cool, technology wise
> interesting, some area they user for themselves, maybe important. At least,
> that is my first thought.
> So we should think about bringing that message across.
> Correct?
>
> Cheers,

If we had more documentation for and people who really knows Base, it would be
easier to "sell" LO to some businesses.  I know a user that I had to add Office
2003 to his system since that was a deal breaker.  He has all of the books and
modeling work in data base formats and cannot "live" without Access.  He
created those DBs with MSO 97 and did not upgrade to MSO 2003 until he switched
computers and could not find the install CD for '97.  So unless LO can easily
use Access files and reports and forms he created over the years, he will not
go to LO, even thought he likes the idea behind LO and FOSS.

So we really need to get more people to learn Base and ways for other to easily
learn how to use it.

Any ideas that helps that goal is greatly needed for my group of business users
that need databases in their small businesses.  That is the onlly real thing
stopping them from switching over completely.