Hello Alexander,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Alexander Thurgood
<alex.thurg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 14/09/11 22:40, Robert Ryley a écrit :
>
> Hi Robert,
>
>> If there is a move away from java, that is going to make a significant
>> portion of that documentation obsolete.  Is there anything
>> specifically related to the move away from java documented anywhere?
>> Any idea what the API is going to be to replace it?
>>

> AFAIK support for Java is not being dropped, i.e. the API and UNO will
> still support Java implementations of functionality, rather the hooks
> which provide currently provide certain functionality, e.g. the Wizards,
> are being converted to other coding languages, such as Python. The aim
> is reduce dependency on Java implementations where possible, replacing
> them with other coding alternatives.

This is what one of the developers told me on IRC yesterday,
explaining that there was a mix of java and c++ in the base code,
making for some "interesting" maintainence isues.  Considering how the
languages are implemented differently (ie. one compiles to native
machine code, the other compiles to bytecode), I can imagine that it
must be annoying trying to figure out what is going on when the code
base is in the millions of lines.

> There has been a GSOC project this year to achieve that very goal, i.e.
> the migration of at least some of the assistants from a Java based
> implementation to a Python based implementation. These are currently in
> the 3.5 development branch of the code.

Interesting.  This makes more sense.

> I'm not actually sure if this is documented anywhere, but most likely
> this will have been decided in the Engineering Steering Committee
> meetings. The reports of these are posted on the wiki.

Do you have a link to that?  There is lots of developer docs strewn
around the 'net.

Robert