Hi,

there is good news: OASIS has already real-time collaborative editing
(RTCE) in the pipeline.
Last year a sub-committee "Advanced Document Collaboration" was founded
within OASIS.

The lesser good news is that the SC is currently struggling to find the
optimal solution.
Yesterday, I wrote a status summary
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-collab/201110/msg00008.html> to
the SC mailing list and a proposal for change-tracking focusing
compatibility with collaboration will follow.
If you are curious on details, just follow the links from the link above..

The protocol to be used will be not be part in the first step, as it is
a different layer, but I would consider working systems as
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_sharing
part of the 100$ laptop (or laptop for every child) campaign, see
http://sugarlabs.org

Regards,
Svante