Dear Marmam readers,

This is a second call for a behavioural project in the
Istanbul Strait. I am seeking enthusiastic research assistants to help a PhD
thesis on a behavioural study of dolphins in the Istanbul Strait.
This is a project under the Istanbul University-Turkey. The project aims to
determine the critical habitats and investigate the interactions
between cetaceans and marine traffic.

In the Istanbul Strait, there are three different species of dolphins
which are common dolphin, bottlenose dolphin and harbour porpoise. The strait
is one of the narrowest straits in the world and has a vital importance on the
international marine transportation (around 50.000 transit ships uses this
passage annually). During the project, theodolite will be used for the purpose
of determining the travel speed and diving interval as well as the distance
between
the dolphins and vessels. Moreover we will collect various behavioural data.
Computer based photo-id studies will also be carried out.

The research assistants will have the opportunity to take part in data
collection during the land and boat based fieldwork in the Istanbul
Strait. Research assistants should be
prepared to long working days in the field under the hot and cold weathers. And
of course there will be days that we see no dolphins around so patient
personality is needed.  The field work
will take 2-3 days in a week and office work will take a day. So you will have
heaps of time for seeing around in Turkey as well.

Successful applicants will be
responsible for their own transportation to and from Istanbul-Turkey. I know
most
of the students are short of money but applicants should contribute 400$ to the
project. Commitment is required for a period of 2 months.

Successful applicants will:

- be able to live and work with others in a
team

- be available for at least 2 months

-and most important should have a strong
desire to work with marine mammals under the difficult conditions.

This project provides
an excellent opportunity for students and individuals interested in getting
more experience in the field of marine mammal research.

Applicants should send a short email
introducing themselves to akkayaay...@yahoo.com.
The email should include an outline of why you would like to work on this
project. Please also attach a brief CV.

There is no deadline to apply.
However, approved applications are accepted on a first-come, first serve basis.
Start and end dates are flexible.

All the best,

Aylin AKKAYA