Dear Colleagues,

There is one week left to put in abstracts for the 2016 Ocean Sciences
meeting (New Orleans, Louisiana; February 21-26, 2016).

My co-chairs and I welcome submissions to our session on the burgeoning
issue of dynamic, or real-time, management of marine resources.  Dynamic
ocean management attempts to align the temporal and spatial scales of
management with that of the resource and resource users to improve the
efficiency and efficacy of management measures.  We look forward to an
interesting discussion on scale in resource management and hope to see you
there!

Dynamic Ocean Management: Managing at Finer Scales for Mobile Ocean
Resources (link to session webpage
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/os16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session9332> )

Session ID: 9332

Session Description:

Dynamic ocean management aims to respond to the movement of managed species,
ocean users, and underlying ocean features. Higher temporal resolution of
management measures can create efficiency gains and allows managers to
address problems that were previously intractable. Understanding patterns in
space and time for both target and non-target species can allow management
to explicitly respond to the dynamic movements of marine animals and people
that rely on them. Dynamic approaches are particularly important for highly
mobile species as well as resource users that follow features such as fronts
and eddies that evolve rapidly in space and time. Advances in remote
sensing, archival tagging, hand-held technology, and species-distribution
models have improved our ability to predict areas of low to high risk of
unwanted species interactions in near-real time. That information can be
disseminated to alert users to changing dynamic management areas via website
and mobile applications. This session will explore (1) life history traits
and ecosystems that may benefit from dynamic ocean management approaches;
(2) how both human and marine resources respond to dynamic oceanography; (3)
empirical examples to help quantify the efficacy and efficiency of dynamic
management; and (4) ultimately data frameworks that can improve
responsiveness of ocean management.

Chairs:

Elliott L. Hazen, NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center, Environmental
Research Division, Monterey, CA

Daniel Dunn, Duke University Marine Lab, Nicholas School of the Environment,
Beaufort, NC

Sara Maxwell, Old Dominion University, Department of Biology, Norfolk, VA

Rebecca Lewison, San Diego State University, Biology, San Diego, CA

The abstract submission site <http://osm.agu.org/2016/abstract-submissions/>
is now open and abstracts are due by 23 September, 11:59 p.m. EDT.

We look forward to your abstracts and an exciting session!

Sincerely,

Daniel (daniel.dunn at duke.edu)

Daniel C. Dunn, Ph.D.

Research Scientist