Dear colleagues,
My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of a new article:
Large amounts of marine debris found in sperm whales stranded along the North
Sea coast in early 2016
Bianca Unger, Elisa L. Bravo Rebolledo, Rob Deaville, Andrea Gröne, Lonneke L.
IJsseldijk,
Mardik F. Leopold, Ursula Siebert, Jérôme Spitz, Peter Wohlsein, Helena Herr

Abstract:
30 sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) stranded along the coasts of the North
Sea between January and February 2016. The gastro-intestinal tracts of 22 of
the carcasses were investigated. Marine debris including netting, ropes, foils,
packaging material and a part of a car were found in nine of the 22
individuals. Here we provide details about the findings and consequences for
the animals. While none of the items was responsible for the death of the
animal, the findings demonstrate the high level of exposure to marine debris
and associated risks for large predators, such as the sperm whale.

The full article is available online at
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2016.08.027

or email me directly for a PDF copy

bianca.un...@tiho-hannover.de<mailto:bianca.un...@tiho-hannover.de>

Best,
Bianca
--
Bianca Unger
Institute for Terrestrial and Aquatic Wildlife Research (ITAW), University of