Dear MARMAM readers,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the recent publication of the
following article in the Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports

“Genomic and proteomic identification of Late Holocene remains: Setting
baselines for Black Sea odontocetes”.

By: Vincent Biard, Pavel Gol’din, Elena Gladilina, Karina Vishnyakova, Krista
McGrath, Filipe G. Vieira, Nathan Wales, Michael C. Fontaine, Camilla Speller
and Morten Tange Olsen.
Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 15C (2017) pp. 262-271 ; DOI:
10.1016/j.jasrep.2017.07.008

Open Access: https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1Vajq,rVDBJ-p4
<https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1Vajq,rVDBJ-p4>

Abstract:

A critical challenge of the 21st century is to understand and minimise the
effects of human activities on bio- diversity. Cetaceans are a prime concern in
biodiversity research, as many species still suffer from human im- pacts
despite decades of management and conservation efforts. Zooarchaeology
constitutes a valuable approach for informing conservation and management
decisions by providing baseline information on the past distribution and human
uses of species. However, traditional morphological species identification of
mixed assemblage bones can be challenging, particularly in the case of
cetaceans. To address this issue, we applied and evaluated the performance of
three biomolecular approaches – Sanger sequencing, shotgun sequencing and
collagen peptide fingerprinting (ZooMS) – for species identification in a mixed
assemblage of 800 to 1600 years old odontocete (toothed whale) samples from the
site of Chersonesus in Crimea, Ukraine. We found that ZooMS allowed for
identification to the taxonomic level for 28 of our 30 samples (> 90%),
identifying them as either “porpoise” or “dolphin”, and approximately half of
those samples could be further identified to species level with the shotgun
sequencing approach. In addition, shotgun sequencing produced several complete
ancient odontocete mito- genomes and auxiliary nuclear genomic data for further
exploration in a population genetic context. In contrast, both morphological
identification and Sanger sequencing lacked taxonomic resolution and/or
resulted in mis- classification of samples. We found that the combination of
ZooMS and shotgun sequencing provides a powerful tool in zooarchaeology, and
here allowed for a deeper understanding of past marine resource use and its im-
plication for current management and conservation of Black Sea odontocetes.

For any questions, please feel free to contact me : vincentbiar...@gmail.com
<mailto:vincentbiar...@gmail.com>

Cheers

Vincent Biard, MSc