Good evening, MARMAM Community,

My name is Jennifer Lopez and I am the Volunteer Coordinator with the Atlantic
Marine Conservation Society (AMCS). AMCS is a 501 © 3 not-for-profit
organization dedicated to promoting conservation of our marine environment
through action. Some of our action items include data research, surveys and
health assessments, involvement in the Specially Trained Animal Response Team
(START), response to entangled and out of habitat animals, necropsies, beach
monitoring, public outreach, and education.

I wanted to reach out to let you know that our organization is now accepting
applications for our Spring and Summer 2020 internships. We offer internships
in three different areas:

1) Conservation Research Program
Join our conservation efforts through a Conservation Research Internship.
Conduct beach monitoring events including beach clean ups, cold stunned sea
turtle monitoring, and seal surveys. Work with collected data to help bring a
better understanding of Long Island’s marine habitat and the marine animals and
marine debris and present within.

Specific projects include:

 1. Pinniped Population Documentation: Lead a seal watching cruise once per
week throughout the length of the internship aboard the Peconic Star II.
Educate the public on seals in our area, and photo document the population of
grey seals that are observed during the cruise. Observations include weather
recordings, animal numbers and behavior while at the site. Compare this data to
other days of the week from fellow interns to determine if there is any
predictability in residency or frequency of sightings. Interns will also review
photographs taken during the winter seal cruises in Shinnecock Bay, identify
any injured animals, and complete counts of the photographs taken. This will
give a different perspective to seal observation work in comparison to the grey
seals observed on the cruises they lead.

2. GIS/ Database Management: Develop database for storing stranding, survey and
satellite tracking data. Map strandings real time for monthly stranding trend
review, and keep the team up to date with real time stranding trends. Map
satellite tagged animals and input data from tags into the database.

3. Wild Population Surveys: Work with biologists on data collected from aerial,
land and boat based surveys. Maintain data entry for these trips, learn about
conducting and leading each type of survey, and work with photographs collected
from surveys to count animals and identify natural or human caused injuries.

4. Marine Debris Documentation: Lead two beach cleanup activities per week, one
north shore beach one south shore beach. Educate the public on the harms of
marine debris and data collection techniques. Record data from each site,
compile at the end of internship to compare amount collected at each site and
difference in items collected. Create marine debris content to be used on AMCS
website and presented at educational opportunities.

Skills important to the internship are attention to detail, the ability to work
individually or as a part of a team, and the ability to train and lead small
groups for beach monitoring efforts.

Our objectives are to train students to successfully monitor the beaches of our
local marine environment and collect data to help gain a better understanding
of these individual landscapes and their properties. Students will also receive
training in what to do in the case of marine mammal and sea turtle sightings
and strandings. This internship will provide students with firsthand knowledge
on the impacts of marine debris on our environment, will allow them to quantify
and qualify the marine debris specific to individual beaches, and how to
involve our communities in taking action to make a positive impact. Data
collected will contribute to efforts in mitigation.

2) Education Program
Work with our Education Team to promote an informed community that is aware of
our marine environment and its inhabitants, our human impact, and how to impact
the environment in a positive way. Help us with our outreach efforts by
conducting community beach clean ups, and education programs geared to a
variety of ages through an Education Internship.

Skills required for this internship include the ability to communicate in
writing and in public speaking, and a basic knowledge of environmental science.

Our objectives are to provide students with hands on education experience in a
variety of outlets and audiences. Students will train to communicate with and
teach local communities about our marine environment, the marine mammals and
sea turtles inhabiting our waters, the anthropogenic threats that they face,
and how we can work together to help create a healthier environment. Students
will not only have the opportunity to grow in their ability to educate the
public, but will also learn more about our ocean's need for conservation, and
how to promote conservation as a part of this marine mammal and sea turtle
stranding response team.

3) Field Response Program
Work with our Field Response Team to conduct stranding investigation efforts,
including necropsies for the marine mammals and sea turtles that wash up on our
shores through a Field Response Internship.

Specific Projects include:

1. Response to a specific species or taxa (i.e. Sea turtles, or more
specifically Loggerhead sea turtles)
Complete all data collection required for those animals, and compile cause of
mortality tables. Compare these results to the results from 2017 and 2018 to
determine patterns or unusual findings.

2. Sea turtle stomach contents: Examine the stomach contents of sea turtles
examined in 2017 and 2018 season, and categorize food items eaten, along with
foreign items found.

3. Sample Inventory Maintenance: Maintain inventory of marine mammal and sea
turtle samples collected during response. Research technology to assist with
digitization of current inventory and implement procedures for real time entry
into inventory system when samples are collected.

Skills this internship requires include the ability to work as a member of a
team, participation in lecture-based training and some flexibility regarding
some of the hands-on experiences like necropsy events, which do not have much
notice due to the nature of these events.

Our Objectives for students include training as a part of the response team,
growing in knowledge of marine mammal and sea turtle anatomy, and a variety of
roles within stranding investigation process.

Application steps are as follows:

  1.  Apply by filling out an application on our website:
http://www.amseas.org/volunteer/
  2.  Send a cover letter, resume, and have three letters of recommendation
(two being academic) to either educat...@amseas.org, or to PO Box 932, Hampton
Bays, NY 11946

If you have any questions, please email educat...@amseas.org.

Warm regards,