My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our open access
paper in Ecological Applications

Validation of presence‐only models for conservation planning and the
application to whales in a multiple‐use marine park
Joshua N. Smith, Natalie Kelly and Ian W. Renner

Identification of species’ Biologically Important Areas (BIAs) is fundamental
to conservation planning and species distribution models (SDMs) are a powerful
tool commonly used to do this. Presence‐only data are increasingly being used
to develop SDM’s to aid the conservation decision‐making process. The
application of presence‐only SDM’s for marine species’ is particularly
attractive due to often logistical and economic costs of obtaining systematic
species’ distribution data. However, robust model validation is important for
conservation management applications that require accurate and reliable
species’ occurrence data (e.g. spatially explicit risk assessments). This is
commonly done using a random subset of the data and less commonly with fully
independent test data. Here, we apply a spatial block cross‐validation (CV)
approach to validate a MaxEnt presence‐only model using independent
presence/absence survey data for a highly mobile, marine species (humpback
whale, Megaptera novaengliae) in the Great Barrier Reef (GBR). A MaxEnt model
was developed using opportunistic whale sightings (2003 - 2007) and then used
to identify areas differing in habitat suitability (low, medium, high) to
conduct a systematic, line‐transect aerial survey (2012) and derive a density
surface model. A spatial block CV buffering strategy was used to validate the
MaxEnt model, using the opportunistic sightings as training data and
independent aerial survey sightings data as test data. Moderate performance
measures indicate MaxEnt was reliable in identifying the distribution patterns
of a mobile whale species on their breeding ground, indicated by areas of high
density aligned to areas of high habitat suitability. Furthermore, we
demonstrate that MaxEnt models can be useful and cost‐effective for designing a
sampling scheme to undertake systematic surveys that significantly reduces
sampling effort. In this study, higher quality information on whale
reproductive class (calf versus non‐calf groups) was obtained that the
presence‐only data lacked, while sampling only 18% of the GBR World Heritage
Area. The validation approach using fully independent data provides greater
confidence in the MaxEnt model, which indicates significant overlap with the
main breeding ground of humpback whales and the inner shipping route. This is
important when evaluating presence‐only models within certain conservation
management applications, such as spatial risk assessments.

The paper is in the Accepted Articles section of the journal and available at:
https://doi.org/10.1002/eap.2214

Regards
Josh