Hi All - On behalf of my co-authors, I’m please to announce the publication of
our new paper:

Hewitt, J., Schick, R.S. & Gelfand, A.E. Continuous-Time Discrete-State
Modeling for Deep Whale Dives. JABES (2021).
https://doi.org/10.1007/s13253-020-00422-2

Abstract:
Understanding unexposed/baseline behavior of marine mammals is required to
assess the effects of increasing levels of anthropogenic noise exposure in the
marine environment. However, quantifying variation in the baseline behavior of
whales is challenging due to the fact that they spend much of their time at
depth, and therefore, their diving behavior is not directly observable. Data
collection employs tags as measurement devices to record vertical movement. We
focus here on satellite tags, which have the advantage of collection over a
time window of weeks. The type of data we analyze here suffers the disadvantage
of being in the form of depths attached to an arbitrarily created set of depth
bins and being sparse in time. We provide a multi-stage generative model for
deep dives using a continuous-time discrete-space Markov chain. Then, we build
a likelihood, incorporating dive-specific random effects, in order to fit this
model to a set of satellite tag records, each consisting of a temporally
misaligned collection of deep dives with sparse binned depths for each dive.
Through simulation, we demonstrate the ability to recover true model
parameters. With real satellite tag records, we validate the model out of
sample and also provide inference regarding stage behavior, inter-tag record
behavior, dive duration, and maximum dive depth.

Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13253-020-00422-2

Please feel free to contact me with follow up questions: rss10 “at” duke.edu

Best,
Rob